1 whole organic chicken (approx 1.6kg)
2 white onions finely chopped
3 garlic cloves (optional)
5cm knob piece ginger finely chopped
2 cinnamon sticks
6 Cardamon Pods
3 star anise
1 medium sized chili chopped (optional)
2 tspn Himalayan or sea salt (to taste)
1/2 sliced Chinese cabbage (these can replace noodles or you can use 300gm brown rice noodles
200g bean sprouts
1 cup coriander, thai basil and/or mint leaves
Carrots – julienned (cut lengthwise like match sticks)
Zucchini – finely chopped
1 bunch baby bok choy, trimmed and leaves separated or spinach or any greens
Capsicum – red or green – finely sliced
Broccoli – finely slice stalk and cut up the little florets
Snow peas – finely sliced
Mushrooms – variety
Lime wedges to serve
VEGETABLES: Add as many as you like- Asian veggies work really well
1. Rinse chicken and add to pot with 2 litres of water (enough to cover)
2. Bring to boil, skim scum from top
3. Add onions, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise & salt. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, remove chicken and set aside.
4. Place on heat (simmer) and add veggies, add the ones that take longer to cook first then the others.
5. Remove chicken flesh and finely slice
6. If including noodles, cover rice noodles with hot water to cook, strain
7. Add noodles into soup, along with sliced chicken.
8. Top each serve with been sprouts, coriander, mint, basil, chili and lime.
This soup freezes really well. Just leave out the bean sprouts.